NanoMag, the acronym for Magnetic Nanoparticles and Thin Films for Spintronic Applications and High Performance Permanent Magnets, is a People Marie Curie Action
IRSES (International Research Staff Exchange Scheme) project, aiming to establish a research network in the Area of magnetic nanostructured materials for novel spintronic, novel permanent magnets and biomedical applications, through collaboration and exchange of staff among six Prominent European Union Universities and Research Institutes, with four top-class laboratories, three from USA and one from Korea. (learn more…).
The project’s main objectives are organized in three scientific pillars:
(a) Nanopatterned Magnetic Materials, mainly transition metal oxides and Spinel Ferrites, as well as their hybrids with Molecule/Organic-based Magnets (MOM) for spintronic applications.
(b) Magnetic Nanocomposites for novel Permanent Magnets.
(c) Modified Magnetic Nanoparticles in colloids for Biomedical Applications. (learn more…)
The joint study on the magnetic properties of Bi2Se3, conducted by three members of the consortium, NCSR-D, KBSI and UIOAN, in the course of research on novel nanomagnets for spintronic applications, unveiled the presence of unexpected surface orbital magnetism on Bi-rich Bi2Se3 nanoplatelets. The results of this pioneering work enlightened new pathways for potential applications ranging from magnetic spin control and quantum computing to plasmonics and catalytic chemistry. The study which enrolled also academic staff from the Petroleum Institute (Abu Dhabi, UAE), received wide recognition from the financial press in UAE:
This work was published in NPG Asia Materials (2016) 8, e271; doi:10.1038/am.2016.56. (learn more…)
Workshops and conferences:
- KBSI International Collaborative Workshop – From Nanomaterials to Smart Materials, Recent Advances, December 20-21, 2012, Daejeon, Korea. 2012 (organized by KBSI). Project Achievements – Workshop KBSI ICW 2012)
- Fifth North America-Greece-Cyprus Workshop on Paramagnetic Materials, May 22-26 2013, Limassol Cyprus (organized by UCY).
- EUROMAR 2013, Magnetic Resonance Conference and Specialized Colloque AMPERE: ”Advances in Solid State Broadband Magnetic Resonance”, 30th June – 5th July 2013, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece (organized by NCSR-D).
- Sixth North America-Greece-Cyprus Workshop on Paramagnetic Materials, June 3-6 2015, Athens, Greece.
Invited Talks / Oral Presentations in Seminars by young researchers
- Gradišek, Anton. NMR studies of hydrogen dynamics in complex metallic systems : presented at 2012 KBSI International Collaborative Workshop – From Nanomaterials to Smart Materials, Recent Advances, December 20-21, 2012, Daejeon, Korea. 2012
- Jelen, Andreja Introduction to High-Entropy Alloys (HEAs): Microstructure analysis by Scanning Electron Microscopy – SEM, October 26, 2015, Korea Basic Science Institute (KBSI), Daejeon, Korea.
- Jelen, Resolving High-Entropy Alloy (HEA) microstructure of CoCrFeNiZrx series’ samples by EBSD (Electron Backscatter Diffraction) in SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy), 2016-02-05 Korea Basic Science Institute (KBSI), Daejeon, Korea.